Our #loveyourlocalarches campaign celebrated ARCH DAY 2022 on Saturday, 9 July. It was a day dedicated to highlighting the diverse array of small businesses across our railway arches and their significance within local communities.
The Arch Company encouraged members of the public to visit their local arches and explore the bakeries, breweries, butchers, restaurants, beauty salons, wellness workshops and mechanics that call the arches home. ARCH DAY was designed to help boost small businesses in the arch community, and bring greater awareness of these spaces to local customers too.
The flagship ARCH DAY 2022 event took place in Forest Gate’s Avenue Road arches, on Saturday 9 July from 12-6pm. The celebration offered something for everyone – from complimentary family-friendly fun such as face painting and outdoor games, to food, drinks, music and DJ sets.
Well-loved neighbourhood hangout Tracks curated performances on a pop-up stage and added garden-style seating outside of their community hub, which proved popular to those wanting to eat their contemporary cuisine and impressive curation of international drinks. More drinks were served by the Ciderhouse, whilst new neighbour Fiore Truck served a special “Arch Day menu” for passers-by to enjoy their Italian dishes. Guests were kept busy by Climb A Tree Pilates who opened The Reformery studio 12pm-4pm for introductory Pilates classes, and MBox London who offered drop in boxing sessions within their gym.
In addition to the brilliant array of customer activity, CEO Craig McWilliam visited the Avenue Row Arches and was grateful to discuss what the arches mean to the community with Mayor of Newham Rokhsana Fiaz, Deputy Mayor James Asser, and Councillor Rachel Tripp.
Other events took place across London, included:
- Craft Metropolis, Penge: P-Arch-ed community event with locally brewed beer
- KO Community Projects, Bethnal Green: community youth boxing and muay thai open day
- StrongHer Space, Bethnal Green: Arches Fun Fitness Day
- Bureau of Silly Ideas, Brixton: Club Silly local artist community event
- Eastside Centre Masjid, Limehouse: senior citizens open day
- Anspach & Hobday Southwark: “hoptastic” breakfast with food from the Ginger Pig & fresh brews
- Fully Charged, Southwark: ebike open day – with taster sessions and experts on hand
- The Loft Pilates Studio, Wandsworth: complimentary Reformer Pilates session
In addition to the capital city, we celebrated ARCH DAY 2022 across the country too:
- South West Carpentry, Bath: Patterns and printmaking community workshops at Broadway Court
- Bryter Digital, Canterbury: festival day with local artists, food and live music
- FutureShock Wrestling, Manchester: introductory free taster session to the art of Pro Wrestling
- Crediton Tea Station, Crediton: summer tea room celebration to support The Turning Tides Project
- Kwas Wine Shop, and Hoults, Huddersfield: Vine A Duct Street’s free Polish wine tasting, treats and live music
- Gardner and Scardifield, Lancing, West Sussex: community celebration of their centenary! Pay homage to 100 years of this local business
- All Brass and Woodwind, Leeds: live music from local musicians and drop-in workshop sessions
- Souvenirs upon Tyne, Newcastle: celebrated four legged friends with snacks for pets!
- Centred Chiropractic, Newcastle: drop in spinal assessment sessions for new customers
The Arch Company once again supported the activities of numerous small and independent businesses with match-funding grants of up to £2,500. This was administered in partnership with the community action charity Groundwork London. Please note: applications for the match-funding have now closed.
Anyone who runs a business or charity from within one of The Arch Company’s properties was able to apply. Funding can range from £100 – £2,500 depending on the activity and positive impact it will result in. Our grants match what you raise, and will be judged by Groundwork against the aims and ambitions set out in our prospectus.
For more information about the #loveyourlocalarches campaign, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or follow our #loveyourlocalarches and #ARCHDAY2022 hashtags on Twitter @thearchcompany or Instagram @the_archcompany.